On Fri, 12 May 2006, Andrew Swisher wrote:

On Thu, May 11, 2006 at 05:21:14PM -0600, Jeff Ross wrote:
Hi,

I've enabled ntpd with the -d flag to run as a server on a system on the
lan with this conf file:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/home/jross $ cat /etc/ntpd.conf
# $OpenBSD: ntpd.conf,v 1.7 2004/07/20 17:38:35 henning Exp $
# sample ntpd configuration file, see ntpd.conf(5)

# Addresses to listen on (ntpd does not listen by default)
listen on *

# sync to a single server
#server ntp.example.org

# use a random selection of 8 public stratum 2 servers
# see http://twiki.ntp.org/bin/view/Servers/NTPPoolServers
servers pool.ntp.org

Is there a way to log update requests from other computers on the lan?
I'm trying to sync some [EMAIL PROTECTED] workstations and the update request
always
fail--both with it and with other time servers. I can sync my openbsd
workstation with it no problem, but nothing shows in the logs then,
either.

<SNIP>

I run obsd on my firewall (of course).  My firewall syncs it's clock
with external time servers.  The ntpd on my firewall listens only on the
internal interface, so that my internal hosts can sync with it.

I have a statement in my pf.conf file to allow my internal hosts to
connect to the ntpd over udp 123:

pass in log quick on $IntIF inet proto udp from any to 10.2.2.1 port
123 keep state

Please note that I also use the "log" option in my rule.

Hope that helps,

Thanks for the reply. I guess I should have made my question more clear. I'm more interested in the logging capabilities of ntpd in server mode. Because my OpenBSD workstation can sync to the server, ntpd is working. I thought logging might give me some clues about what is going on with XP. So far as I can tell right now, it isn't even attempting to contact the server.

Everything involved is on the lan with a 192.168.0 address, hidden from the internet by a bridging firewall. PF isn't enabled on the ntpd-server-box in question.

Jeff