I had a really similar problem trying to setup Cisco Wireless Access
Points Aeronet 1200's with the same switch using a Debian "router".
Documentation provided with the switch is terrible.  Tech support is
nothing to write home about either - I argued with them for 4 hours and
finally they looked at the docs that came with the router and said - oh
- it is missing that info isn't it.  Still not in there last I looked.
Oh well - I am not going to pay them to do their job for them...

The sample they provided in the book was not complete.  It has been a
while since we got it working - if I remember correctly we ended up
having to tag our VLAN's as something other than 1 in the Debian system.
All ports on the switch had to be untagged members VLAN 1 (Management
VLAN).

We then created VLAN's 2 and 3 on the router and then on the switch also
made port 1 an untagged member for both those VLAN's.  Once this was
done we made the other ports (where the switches and hubs were
installed) tagged members of whichever VLAN they needed to be as well as
untagged members of VLAN 1...

Ex:
- the router went into port 1 which was untagged member of VLAN 1, VLAN
2, and VLAN 3.  The router will provide the VLAN tagging for the packets
so the switch does not need to.

- several devices went into ports 2-5 which needed to be on VLAN 2.
Therefore we made the ports 2-5 untagged members of VLAN 1 and tagged
members of VLAN 2.

- another switch went into port 6 which needed access to VLAN 3.  We
made port 6 an untagged member of VLAN 1 and a tagged member of VLAN 3.

There is also a setting to set the default tag of the port to which a
device plugs into - this needs to be set to the same as the tag you want
to give untagged packets.

So you set the default tag on ports 2-5 as 2 and port 6 as 3.  What
happens is that an untagged packet coming to the switch on ports 2-5
will be tagged with VLAN 2 and will have access to ports 1,2-5 as these
are all members of the VLAN 2.  The switch will forward that packet to
the router and the router will know which VLAN to forward to based on
the tag on the packet.

The router will then reply to the packet and tag it with VLAN 2 which
will re-enter the switch and again can access ports 1,2-5.  If the
packet goes out ports 2-5 the tag will be stripped and the packet seen
by the devices as a standard Ethernet packet without the VLAN tag.

The same works for VLAN 3.

Of course in the router you need the routing and firewalling setup
correctly to properly handle everything.

We have this setup on a system now with 4 nics and several VLAN's on one
of the NIC's.  We had to use Debian as it was already setup - but I used
OpenBSd to research and test much of this.

Good Luck and hope this helps -

Brian Shackelford

Of