Hi,

On Saturday, 20. May 2006 12:06, Joachim Schipper wrote:

> Ultimately, it doesn't matter where you keep X. My tree lives under
> /usr/src/XF4, with a symlink from /usr/XF4 just to be sure.
>
> I'm fairly certain both things work; the canonical way, though, is to
> put XF4 under /usr.

I solved this out by reading the documentation on the OpenBSD website
concerning rebuilding OpenBSD from source:
http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq5.html#Xbld

First, I extracted XF4.tar.gz in /usr (like the OpenBSD FAQ suggests) and made
a symbolic link in /usr/src similar to like you suggested (since this can't
be bad).

I then patched the source with the patch:

Apply by doing:
        cd /usr/src/XF4
        patch -p0 < 002_xorg.patch

And then rebuild and install X:
        make build

But instead of following the patch instructions to rebuild and install X which
in my opinion just suck, I reread the FAQ from above and followed those
instructions and everything worked out fine.

* First I installed the "tcl" and "tk" packages.
* Then, I followed this:

# rm -rf /usr/Xbld
# mkdir -p /usr/Xbld
# cd /usr/Xbld
# lndir ../XF4
   [...lots of output...]
# make build
   [...lots of output...]

This is what the patch should have been including, not the really mistakable
instructions, which suggest that the source is located in /usr/src/XF4
instead of /usr/XF4 (as described in the FAQ, which a user is probably going
to follow) and that all that is required to build X is running "make build".

I'm going to mistrust the instructions from the patches from now on. The FAQ
is the most valuable source of information I have found so far.

kind regards,
Tobias Weisserth