Hi,

On Monday, 22. May 2006 19:55, Ted Unangst wrote:

> > I have read that mixing up checked out subsystems from CVS like src,
> > ports and XF4 cannot be done across different branches without breaking
> > the system at some time. Let's assume I don't want to spend the extra
> > compile time and bandwidth following stable and I'll stick with the
> > release and apply the patches. How does that leave me with ports? Is it
> > safe to use a release, apply the errata and checkout/use the ports from
> > CVS stable? If not, what alternative do I have?
>
> that's ok.  you can't mix stable src and current ports, or other
> combos, but stable ports and errata patches are "the same".

OK, I have found it in the FAQ, though I have to admit this is hidden pretty
deep:

http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq15.html#NoFun

"Because no intrusive changes are made in -stable, it is possible to use a
-stable ports tree on a -release system, and vice versa. There is no need to
update all your installed packages after applying a few errata patches to
your system."

This answers my question to the point! :-) Why is this hidden behind such a no
giveaway question like "I'm getting all kinds of crazy errors. I just can't
seem to get this ports stuff working at all."?! This information should be
sticked with information about the release branch, wouldn't you agree?

thanks everybody,
Tobias W.