On 6/2/06, Will H. Backman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Have you looked at gpsd, which is BSD licensed?  According to the author, they
have very good device detection, so maybe you could use their device info
database.

What we do in gpsd is a) try to protocol detection by running a sample
of the data stream through the various decoders and b) sending probe
packets to elicit chipset-specific messages.

What we don't have is a catalog of the behaviour of every firmware
revision with every message it actually sends. More than once I've
seen discrepancies between what the manual says should be coming out
at the receiver, and what actually comes out of the receiver. We make
best efforts at parsing what we do get, and fixing it when someone
reports funky results from such and such a device...

CK