Theo de Raadt wrote:
I thought my mail was clear enough.

Not necessarily. This thread was originally about the Hifn 7956 whereas my interest is in the 7955. You stated that about a year ago Hifn policies changed and that they decided they would no longer provide documentation. I know the 7955 and the 7956 come from the same product line, but since you did not address the 7955 specifically there was an outside chance that OpenBSD had received full documentation for the 7955 before this Hifn policy change, but then suffered for documentation on the 7956. Thus my request for clarification.

I suppose that your message would be clear to a developer familiar with the hardware. I do not know the differences between these two parts. Is the 7956 merely a higher clocked part, or does it differ in implementation from the 7955? Since they are part of the same product line it would logically follow that they were implemented identically. However, how many companies have different implementations across the same part number, let alone product lines? I am merely covering all the possibilities left open by your message.

I suppose it is safe to assume by your reply that the two parts utilize the same implementation but that the 7956 is a higher clock than the 7955. In other words, the people in the 7955 message thread are fscked as well.

In any case, I guess it is time to send Hifn an email and let them know that they are losing future sales as a result of this change in policy. I suggest that other owners of Hifn products follow suit. I am also going to send a message to Soekris expressing my displeasure at the fact that their product sales page for the vpn1411 lists it as fully supported by OpenBSD when that is obviously not the case. As a Hifn technology implementer I would hope that Soekris would also pass their concern about this documentation issue back up the chain to Hifn.

On that note, does anyone in the project have an email address or two for Hifn? Specifically an address for someone who would have maximum impact on the policy decision making process.

Breeno