On Tue, 6 Jun 2006, Stuart Henderson wrote:

On 6/6/06, Ian Watts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Other than swapping out various bits
of hardware, which would involve buying new bits, are there any other
man pages or useful documents that might help me figure out what the
problem is?

Try running GENERIC.MP kernel, on the box I had with a hardware
failure (bad cpu) MP usually panicked where GENERIC usually froze.

Thanks for the suggestion. I rebooted with /bsd.mp and so far have not been able to lock up the system, despite taxing it as much as possible for an extended period of time. I'll continue running MP for the time being and see if the problem does in fact return.

There is a very handy program called memtest86 which can test your
memory to see if it is bad.

It tells you if it's bad, but it doesn't tell you if it's good.

Time permitting, I'll give that go, too. I know the extended test takes quite some time (512MB RAM on my box). Maybe tonight.

-- Ian