On 6/11/06, Hamorszky Balazs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I'm looking for some help on an article on wikipedia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_open_source_operating_systems

I think this is an exercise in futility, for staying up-to-date, for
trying to be
unbiased and non-arbitrary.
what qualifies a driver to be called "official"? i'd say, it should
_at least_ be
supportable by the system developers. also there are other companies
who produce binary blobs, which aren't listened. and there is a multitude
of drivers for most of the os' which aren't listed.
what entitles an architecture to deserve a "row" in the table? e.g. "cell"
clearly qualifies as "other" in my book, being only supported by linux, but
"vax" should deserve a row, both because more than one os support it
and there exist quite some instllations around, more than a few dev-kits.
the same with file systems (e.g. zfs, reiser4)

(...rest of rant deleted, it's already off topic...)

oh, and don't tell me i shall participate.

--knitti