EE/RF pedant here (there had to be one, right?).

However, I doubt that e.g. subtracting 3dBm is sufficient, say

Without going into detail, it needs to be said that dB is a relative
measurement while dBm is absolute.  Thus, one would state that 3 dB is
subtracted from X dBm in order to represent half power (which is what
you were getting at with the 200 -> 100 mW issue).

Simple example:  15 dBm = 31.623 mW, 12 dBm = 15.829 mW (indeed, 3 dB
down is half power on a linear scale).  3 dBm, however is 1.995 mW.
Subtracting 3 dBm from 15 dBm would then give you 14.72 dBm (29.628
mW).  Not obvious?  Yes.  Important?  Definitely.

While I'm at it an OT(?) question:
Does somebody know how to _simply_ (using a multimeter or an old
20MHz scope) measure the power output of a wireless NIC? Just a rough
(+-10mW) estimate would suffice. The antennae are external so I have
access to the SMA. Then I could measure the mapping myself.

To simply answer, "no."  You cannot absolutely measure transmitted RF
power without a calibrated receiver of some sort (e.g. a commercial RF
power meter... see Agilent), two antennas with known directivity
patterns and known efficiencies, and/or a 2D motorized az/el stage
such that you can easily rotate one of the two antennas and integrate
the received power.

If you have, however, two known antennas with known gains (say,
Hyperlink patch antennas), and you know - or can estimate - the
insertion loss in the cables and coax connectors, and a second
wireless NIC with software you believe is giving you approximate
values of received power, you can use the Friis equation to find the
transmitted power.  This will put you within 10 dBm/mW easily.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friis_Transmission_Equation

Any other questions related to this I can answer off-list.

Cheers,
Charles