On Thu, 15 Jun 2006, Bob Bostwick (Lists) wrote:

> I've narrowed the problem down.  I'm running an FTP server (vsftpd)
> who's users home dir's are on an nfs share.  If I run vstpd without
> mounting the nfs share (and create a user with a valid home dir) I get
> 21MB/s uploads.  If I copy a file from the OBSD box to a dir on the NFS
> mount, I get 8MB/s.  However if I ftp to the nfs share I get 700KB/s
> uploads.  Downloads are fast either way, it's just the writes that seem
> really slow.  Vsftpd is starting through inetd (but I tried standalone
> and it made no difference.)  Is there some sort of incompatibility in
> doing it this way?
>
> Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated....

First: you do not tell which version of OpenBSD you are using. Recent
version DO have better NFS write performance. Look at the release
notes of 3.8.

Since local copies are much faster than the ftp'ed data, I would
suspect that vsftd is doing writes in such a way that it really
stresses nfs. You could try using another ftp server and see if the
performance gets better. If that's the case, you know for sure where
to look further.

        -Otto