On Sun, Jun 18, 2006 at 01:43:44PM +0200, Marc Espie wrote:
> You'd better really start explaining what you are doing, and what you
> expect the tools to do...
>
> so far, you are not making any kind of point.
>
> pkg_add -ui does exactly what it is supposed to at this point in time.
> If it doesn't work for you, it's probably because there's something you
> have completely not understood...

Let me see chime in here, because I've been wondering about this as well.

What I expect the tool to do if I invoke it like

    $ sudo pkg_add -u

is to do this (from pkg_add(1)):
If no pkgname is given, pkg_add will update all installed packages.

What actually happens after the above invocation is what Sebastian
pointed out - updatable package names are printed, but nothing is
actually updated.
> # pkg_add -uv
>
> Candidates for updating atk-1.10.1 -> atk-1.10.3p1
> Candidates for updating glib2-2.6.4 -> glib2-2.8.4
> Looking for updates: complete

bc