On 6/23/06, Tobias Ulmer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Looks like this is an older box (no dmesg, so it's just a guess). I have
a board ('96) that doesn't do any dma, but accepts to be set to pio 4,
dma 2. This results in several crashes per day, corrupt data on ro
filesystems and so on. Changing wd to 0xffc (pio 4) does fix it.

this doesn't neccessarily mean the controller or disk is buggy, it could
just be a bad cable, which works, if not used at top speed (or, more correctly,
frequency). I have seen this multiple times with almost any os (that supports
udma)

--knitti