On Sat, Jul 01, 2006 at 07:40:33PM +0100, Craig Skinner wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 01, 2006 at 07:40:18PM +0200, Paul de Weerd wrote:
> > | I always symlink /var/tmp to my /tmp partition and mount /tmp with:
> > | nodev,noexec,nosuid,noatime,async - as it gets wiped at boot anyway.
> >
> > Not only at boot, see daily(8) :
> >
> >      -   Removes scratch and junk files from /tmp and /var/tmp.
> >
> > But anyway, /var/tmp is meant to be the temporary storage area that
> > *survives* reboots, it's actually used for this purpose, it's where vi
> > stores its recovery files. If you ever reboot your machine when a
> > stubborn user has ignored the warnings (perhaps wasn't at his terminal
> > at that time) shutdown(8) sends out, he'll be able to recover his very
> > important document if /var/tmp is not wiped at boot.
>
> Nope. I maybe just a stupid list lurking user, but I did read /etc/daily
> and it performs similar sanity checks on /tmp as to what it wipes.

Yes, but /etc/rc doesn't:

# prune quickly with one rm, then use find to clean up /tmp/[lq]*
# (not needed with mfs /tmp, but doesn't hurt there...)
(cd /tmp && rm -rf [a-km-pr-zA-Z]* &&
    find . ! -name . ! -name lost+found ! -name quota.user \
        ! -name quota.group -execdir rm -rf -- {} \; -type d -prune)

You are right that a /tmp-based vi.recover wouldn't be wiped out by
/etc/daily, which is interesting as I hadn't thought about that possible
problem yet, but a reboot will still kill your vi(1) files.

> If vi is an '80's song, it would be singing "I will survive!"
>
> And of course I use vim, what else is there?????

vi(1) is pretty usable. And, according to an Undeadly poll, while
vi-variants lead, Emacs is also quite popular - as well as simpler
editors (joe, nano, ...).

I use vim myself, and it doesn't use /var/tmp/vi.recover so at least
that problem won't occur if you are the only user and use vim.

                Joachim