Thank you everyone for the useful information.

  I think that this is actually the most I have ever received on any list when
I have asked a (to me) fairly complex question.

  I have now been armed with insightful, and meaningful information that I can
move forward with.

  I'll be doing 2 things.
  1. I have a second box (that is much older and therefore in my mind not a
good choice to replace with), but I will install 3.6 there, and then run
through the upgrade process on it, from 3.7 to 3.8 and finally 3.9

  2. When step 1 completes, then I'll start the process on my main box. That
way I will know exactly what to expect.

  Thanks again,
  --Rob

-