Hello,
I was wondering if i could pick the brains of more experienced inividuals to
provide me with a more suited solution. I am a total beginner at this so
please bear with me.

I wish to setup a file server to sit on my networ at home and provide all
the files between a couple of pc's and laptops.

I was thinking about a Via Nano-itx single disk setup.

OpenBSD has been recommended to me for a few reasons, one of which is its
security.
Security is important to me as i wish to login remotle sometime with my
laptop when i am away from home.

What i need my server todo:
1.  I need to be able to logon to any of my computers and all of the files
relevent to the user be present and ready for action. (Would this mean
having a machines "/" directory on the file server ? I dont mind have no
local files)
2.  Strict login/user privileges. This will include disk quota control and
file/folder access permisions.
3.  Ultra secure remote login away from home on the laptop.
4.  Support users from windows, linux (Mac would be a bonus but not that
important right now)

The major problem that i am trying to overcome by having a file server is;
being able to keep track of files. As i work on different computers, i end
up having duplicates of files everywere, which then leads to not being able
to keep track of which documents are the newest. A real nightmare as you can
imagine

So really i need your help in pointing me in the right direction.
Maybe you have had experiences with a similar issue and can talk to me about
the best way to setup this file server. HDD encryption ? Secure file
transfere (Wired, WiFi or remote) ?
Having the "/" on the file server. So all computers store all their files on
the own user/disk quota on the file server.
How would the above work if i wanted to use my laptop away from home without
a net connection
Filesystems: NFS ? smbFS or what about sshFS (Secure shell filesystem).
Someone has suggested CODA or Intermezzo) ??

Someone has mentioned Rsync

There is so much to think abou as a newbie i am confused were to start.
Pleas help.

I know i am asking alot of questions but any pointer are greatly recieved.

Thanks again
Take Care
G_N