My hardware is a Duron 900Mhz with 3x128MB SD100 and a 6GB HDD.
The NICs are 2x xl (3Com) and one time Ath0 (wlan).
which should be more than enough

It seams to be realy a problem with the userland pppd wich limits the
upload/download so dramaticly.
why?

The Duron 1800Mhz (wich is my only WIndows Box) has also a 3Com NIC
The only difference it: The little Workstation uses Windows and the
ppoe-Drivers from hansenet+DialIn Application.
so whats the difference? there are a lot of things you can screw up, and
the isp won't hand-hold you with any of the connections parameters.
spend some hours (yes, this is a long manpage, but it is, as usual, really
helpful) with ppp(8) _after_ you checked for MTU problems,  autoneg
mismatches etc. did you do that?

And nope it`s not related to UDP.. I ment I`ve ~100kb upload (even via sftp).
I just meant, that your upstream will already be pretty clogged from all those
tiny little ack packets of the various tcp streams. a problem (and
feature) which
doesn't exist  with upd.

With the Router I just got...~12? So the difference is realy not related
to the Hardware (no the CPu is not used completly (100%)).
thats what i said. I don't believe there's an arbitrary limitation of userppp,
if your system is almost idle.

A Soekris-Box could maybe help but to be truthly: i wont spend ~150EUR for
a home-Router. So if somebody has a low-buget-solution I would be happy.
:-))
don't take a soekris net 4501 for anything above 3-4mbit (maybe it'll also
do 6 mbit)

p.s.
Userland pppDs in NetBSB and Linux should perform a lot better (I found
some "benchmarks" via google but there where just "outdated" OSs (OpenBSD
3.2 was tested there)).
well, unless you serve a ppp access point, there's no point in looking into
the performance of ppp_d_

--knitti