On 7/9/06, Matthew R. Dempsky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Sun, Jul 09, 2006 at 08:31:23PM +0159, Han Boetes wrote:
> Karel Kulhavy wrote:
> > I read man dhcp and man dhclient and wasn't able to determine
> > how to restart the DHCP process (or the whole network) if my
> > cable modem with DHCP server crashes and I have to reboot it. I
> > suggest this information to be added, but I don't know where it
> > belongs.
>
> Default behaviour for _any_ daemon is the restart on the HUP
> signal; ie:
>
>    $ sudo pkill -HUP dhcpd

The OP seems interested in restarting dhclient too, but SIGHUP kills
dhclient.

Actually, the way I read the original post, the OP is already
restarting the DHCP server when he/she power cycles the "cable modem
with DHCP server". Thus, he/she just wants to restart the DHCP client.
Is there not an equivalent to the Linux "ifdown eth0", followed by an
"ifup eth0" to obtain another lease and IP address?

-Todd