On Tue, Jul 11, 2006 at 05:54:34PM +1000, Rod.. Whitworth wrote:
> Absolute beginner at practical use of IPv6. Reading man pages and
> tutorials and presentations. Now for a bit of hands-on to make sure I'm
> not storing inaccurate concepts by misinterpreting something so it
> won't work in practice.
>
> Scenario:
> 2 hosts on my LAN
>
> first one, fox:
> # ifconfig fxp0
> fxp0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
>         lladdr 00:02:b3:8b:d5:08
>         groups: egress
>         media: Ethernet autoselect (100baseTX full-duplex)
>         status: active
>         inet 192.168.80.3 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.80.255
>         inet6 fe80::202:b3ff:fe8b:d508%fxp0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1
>
> Second one, po:
> # ifconfig rl0
> rl0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
>         lladdr 00:01:80:0f:66:83
>         groups: egress
>         media: Ethernet autoselect (100baseTX full-duplex)
>         status: active
>         inet 192.168.80.117 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.80.255
>         inet6 fe80::201:80ff:fe0f:6683%rl0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1
>
> When I try to ping6 from one to the other I see no replies unless I use
> -I $if when it works fine.
>
> Of course when I try to telnet to port 25 to test email sending I see
> "no route to host" messages.
>
> I would have thought that link-level addresses would have worked but
> decided to try site-level by adding a line to each in ifconfig simply
> changing the fe80 to fec0 and then everything works fine.
>
> The line appears like this:
>  inet6 fec0::201:80ff:fe0f:6683 prefixlen 64
> added to the end of the above.
>
> Can someone please point me at documentation that will lead me to know
> why I can't use link-level addresses like that?

Because IPv6 is a broken and designed by a
IETF-let's-overengeneer-everything-with-useless-features standart comitee.
You know it is not enough to have 128bit address space to identify hosts,
no you need an additional information -- the scope -- to make link local
addresses useable on systems with more then one interface.

So to ping systems via their link local address you need to specify the
outgoing interface in the address like this:
ping6 fe80::2d0:b7ff:fe4c:3365%em0

Cool isn't it?

And by the way I think that site local addresses where killed from the
standart some time ago (it caused even more troubles to handle these
correctly). So don't start using them.

> I managed to find loads of stuff about IPv6 routers, DNS, tunnelling
> etc but not much early stage education that I can implement for lab
> work to get me up to speed.

As you may realize I'm a big fan of IPv6.

--
:wq Claudio