On 7/11/06, Dan Farrell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Insulting rhetoric has no place in a civilized debate. I actually agreed
with him, until he thought that all of this is just 'American.' It's
actually 'capitalistic', and America isn't the only country in on that
game.

I'm not sure "capitalistic" is any more accurate or any less insulting
than "American". What we're talking about here is consumers believing
that the natural state of affairs is for companies to devalue their
customers. This notion is, among other things, fundamentally
anticapitalistic--it undercuts the basis of capitalistic competition.

I think that the phenomenon that Theo was railing against is a certain
kind of authoritarianism--the idea that if you have an organization
that is big and official then that organization's big and official
wishes should be respected, and that any attempt on the part of
customers to change the group behavior of the organization should be
based on appeasement and taking whatever you can get, however small. I
think that the idea that it makes sense for individuals to be
victimized by groups (and just real nice when they're not)--or that it
makes sense for one group to be victimized by another--is very
authoritarian.

I am an American, and I have observed that this is precisely how
almost all law-abiding Americans relate to police officers (law
abiding citizens are the customers, but we fear cops as if we were
criminals, we are taught from a young age that the proper way to
respond to police presence is to allow ourselves to be victimized, and
we rarely try to change this state of affairs). My travel experience
outside the U.S. is very limited, but I presume that America is not
alone in being infected with this kind of authoritarian stupidity.

Theo: Assuming that you were using "American" as a descriptive term,
rather than as an insult, would you mind clarifying what it was that
you meant to convey? Perhaps the effective vilification of America
(and now a counter-vilification of capitalism) is due to a a
misunderstanding.

-Eliah