Of

<misc@openbsd.org>

Location A
> > > there
> > > is a CISCO Router, but I don't have access to this router.
Location B
> > is
> > > connected to the Internet using cable modem. The IP address  that
> > comes to
> > > the server in location B is 10.1.70.40, as you can see this is not
> > ratable
> > > IP address. Is there a way to run HTTP server at Location B using
one
> > of
> > > the IP address in Location A?
> > >
> > > Thank you,
> > >
> > > Rossen

> > --
> > > ---
> > > ---
> > >
> > > I have the same your question. You not do yet?
> > >
> > > pls lead me do.
> > > thanks
> > > manh thang
> >
> > Maybe I'm missing something, but... Nope.
> >
> > When a surfer to your site wants to go xxx.xxx.xxx.98 they will go
> > location A, not to whatever cable modem location site A is at. The
only
> > way to make certain IP addresses appear to be coming from locations
they
> > weren't intended to come from (and have actual two-way
communication) is
> [...]
left
> > and right.
> >

> > Dan Farrell
> > Applied Innovations
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> There's at least 3 ways to do this.  2 of them require physical
> presence at the "bounce" site.  The 3rd requires some form of
> "trusted" access.
>
> Way #1 -- at location A, allocate an IP address and install a bridge.
> The bridge should route all traffic for that IP address to location B,
> possibly via some form of vpn or tunneling.  At location B, attach
> the web server to the other end of the bridge & give it the assigned
> IP address.  You might find it convenient to do some form of NAT
somewhere
> in here to map addresses.
>
> Way #2 - at location A, install a proxy squid server, and sshd.
> On the web server at location B, make an ssh connection to the squid
> server
> that will forward remote connections from a given port to the web
server
> on the local host.  Now teach the proxy squid server to talk to the
> designated port that will forward via ssh to the remote server.
> You don't need the proxy squid server if you can stand using
> a non-standard port number >2048 in your URLs, or if you're
> willing to make your sshd connection as root and forward 80.
>
> Way #3 - the CISCO router at location A probably has some means of
> acquiring routing information.  Supply it routing information that
will
> route data to for the designated location A IP address to location B.
> You'll need to convince each intermediate point between A and B to
> cooperate.  If you can't establish such a path to B, you'll need
> need to acquire some location C where you can have physical presence
> and a routable path back to A.  From location C you can of course use
> #1,#2 to reach B.  Unless you *really* value the routable IP address
at
> location A, AND you can convince the folks at location A to let you do
> this, you're probably better off not doing this.
>
> Common factors to all of these:
>
> yes you can use openbsd for all the pieces.
>       (I'm not sure openbsd has any other specific
>       connection to this problem.)
> you need some way to route incoming connections
>       to something at location B.  If you can't directly
>       accept incoming connections on something at location
>       B then you need some form of network forwarding to
>       some point where you do have such access.
> you need *some* level of cooperation at location A.
>       You need *something* at A that will see the incoming
>       packet connection for your public IP address at A,
>       that can *somehow* point this towards B.
>       This doesn't need to be the Cisco router,
>       but it does need to be something the router
>       can see.
>
> The last constraint is why you don't see people hijacking

Respectfully, I don't agree with the solutions (I can comment further if
goaded) but for me it comes down to something simpler-

"You'll need to convince each intermediate point between A and B to
cooperate" = "You'll need to convince the Internet to cooperate."

That's why I say it won't work... 'the Internet' isn't going to work
with someone on this.

Dan Farrell