On 28/07/06, Marcus Watts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
"Nick Guenther" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Anyway, I wasn't trying to fight about it, I'm just curious.

"sed -n l" has been around since "forever" or at least since v7.
Presumably before that folks used "ed" or "od".

cat -v -e etc. have been around in *bsd since at least 4.1bsd.
I don't remember AT&T picking up on those options, but
probably -v, -e, etc., are part of various standards today.
Certainly the FSF folks picked up on those flags in their
"GNU core utilities".

The only standard (SUSv3) switch for the cat utility is "-u" for
unbuffered output.

The -e, -t, -v, -s, and -n switches are mentioned in the rationale,
and the reason for not having them in the standard is that the same
functionality may be found in other utilities (giving examples using
sed(1) and pr(1)).

http://www.unix.org/online.html

Regards,
Andreas

--
Andreas Kahari
Somewhere in the general Cambridge area, UK