On 7/31/06, R. Tyler Ballance <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Jeeez, talk about an overreaction to the suggestion. [...] It's not that far
fetched of an idea

Given the times that this question popped up in the archives, Mickey's
reaction isn't too surprising. From the past discussions, I gather
that a change of compiler would be a massive job, regardless of the
compiler changed to.

That said, I'll happily admit that I didn't make a time estimate for the job.

[...] remember a spin-off project that the OpenBSD guys are responsible
that's become the most heavily used SSH code on the planet...

Given the History page on OpenSSH.org [1], licensing terms are likely
to have been a factor as well. To quote:

"OpenSSH is a derivative of the original free ssh 1.2.12 release from
Tatu Ylvnen. This version was the last one which was free enough for
reuse by our project."

[...] but I'm certain it'd just take a few talented individuals with spare
time to really get it [TeNDRA] going again.

The above does not include the work done on actually obtaining a
compiler desired. Be it from scratch or by working on existing code, I
recommend to be careful whose spare time you volunteer.

Cheers,

Rogier