Paul de Weerd schrieb:
> On Tue, Aug 15, 2006 at 02:20:05PM -0500, Matthew R. Dempsky wrote:
> | On Sun, Aug 13, 2006 at 01:19:31PM -0400, Nick Guenther wrote:
> | > I think you're looking for ifconfig(8). Wait, doesn't linux have
> | > ifconfig? What's ip for?
> |
> | ip is from the iproute2 package.  From the lartc.org manual, ``Why
> | iproute2?''[1]:
> |
> |     Most Linux distributions, and most UNIX's, currently use the
> |     venerable arp, ifconfig and route commands. While these tools work,
> |     they show some unexpected behaviour under Linux 2.2 and up. For
> |     example, GRE tunnels are an integral part of routing these days, but
> |     require completely different tools.
> |
> |     With iproute2, tunnels are an integral part of the tool set.
> |
> | [1] http://lartc.org/howto/lartc.iproute2.html
>
> "show some unexpected behaviour under Linux 2.2 and up"... Why not fix
> that behaviour in stead of adding new and confusing tools ?
>
> KISS
>
> Paul 'WEiRD' de Weerd

Oh, it was much more better than just adding a new tool.
They forget to add a manual or info-page or something similar to this
tool for more than 2 years.
The only dokumentation was in the source code.

That is, why I love OpenBSD. For almost everything there exist a
man-Page and mostly with examples)

guido