[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Running OpenBSD 3.9-stable
# start mysql server.
/usr/local/bin/mysqld_safe &

A shorter answer now that I look in more details as you pick my curiosity a bit.

Selected extract from:
http://openbsd.org/faq/faq10.html#rc

* /etc/rc.conf - Configuration file used by /etc/rc to know what daemons should start with the system.

* /etc/rc.conf.local - Configuration file you can use to override settings in /etc/rc.conf so you don't have to touch /etc/rc.conf itself, which is convenient for people who upgrade often.

* /etc/rc.local - Script used for local administration. This is where new daemons or host specific information should be stored.

Notice this part:

*** This is where new daemons or host specific information should be stored ***

I guess that tells you where it should be.

Daniel