On Wed, Aug 23, 2006 at 10:33:46AM -0700, Jon R H wrote:
> Hello Group.
> Need some help understanding 3.9 stable
> and what it means from a pkg stand point!
> I mean does stable give me more options
> then the release ver of 3.9!
>
> Dose OpenBSD have a printed manual
> like FreeBSD has "The complete FreeBSD 4th Ed"
> and also the "The Design and Implementation of the FreeBSD Operating System"
>
> Not sure if OpenBSD has the TrustedBSD mods as well!
>
> Thank you for your time

Jon,

Starting with your documentation questions: AFAIK, OpenBSD's official
documentation is limited to:

  * The definitive man pages.
  * The published FAQ
  * The PF User's Guide
  * All of the many miscellaneous web pages, such as errata, stable, etc.
  * Architecture specific installation docs

  The FAQ and the PF User's guide are available in pdf for printing, as well
  as plain text files.  Individual man pages may be formatted for printing
  with groff_man(7).

Regarding your question about the -stable tree, -stable contains:

  * -release
  * security/stability patches that have been published in errata
  * security/stability patches that were not important enough to publish
  * security/stability patches for ports

For some architectures, -stable packages are made available on the mirrors.

For more on -stable, see:

http://openbsd.rt.fm/faq/faq5.html#Flavors
http://openbsd.rt.fm/stable.html