Siju George wrote:
Hi,

My OpenBSD 3.9 on an amd64 is very very slow for SSH login.

As already mentioned, if reverse lookup doesn't work your login will pause for a substantial amount of time before you are prompted.

Assuming this is a network under your control, if your LAN is small you could just update the hosts files on your machines. If you have more than a few machines on the network, or a heterogeneous network where it isn't as simple as copying around a hosts file, you might want to look into using DNS internally. There have been a few times where my ISP has had DNS trouble which downed large numbers of their customers, but my machines were able to continue right along with no problems because of my internal DNS server. There's a little more work involved in setting it up, but once you read the man page for named and the BIND 9 Administrator Reference Manual (free PDF download) it comes together pretty quickly. I use an invalid TLD of .int to make sure I don't collide with a domain in the outside world, which has never failed me for internal use.

You may even want to use DHCP to assign static IPs by using host declarations which assign a fixed-address to each host based on the MAC address. But I digress.

Breeno