Nick Holland wrote:
The thing could still be a frustrating "first OpenBSD system" for someone. It's a great machine for what it is...but not as a "Welcome to OpenBSD" system. My overall recommendation stands. Get used to OpenBSD on familiar hardware, then get used to unusual hardware with an OS you are familiar with (preferably, OpenBSD. :)

I'd also say you are right in that assessment, with the possible exception - if the original poster is using a hard drive with a Soekris then the only functional difference between it and a desktop computer will be the lack of a video card in the Soekris.

As stated before, an older used system will cost next to nothing, which will more than offset the additional costs incurred due to higher power requirements. Unless you NEED the Soekris it is just an overly expensive toy.

Breeno