Vo9tenak Vladimmr wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have got a problem with the bsd.mp kernel.
>
> Please can you help me solve the problem in some way???
>
> I ve got  HP NETSERVER 2xPPRO200 Mhz. I am using
> OPEN BSD
> version 3.7.
>
> The generic kernel works fine, but the bsd.mp kernel boot until:
>
> fd0 at fdc0 drive 0: 1.44MB 80 cyl, 2 head, 18 sec
> biomask 0 netmask 0 ttymask 0
> ioapic0: pin 15 shares different IPL interrupts (40..50), degraded
> performance
>
> here the system halts and freezes.
>
> Please can you give me some advice???

1) why would you be testing something almost three releases old?  We
are just about to finish up 4.0...we don't even remember what was in 3.7.

2) There are a lot of machines with the name "HP Netserver" on 'em.  I
have two PPro-based Netserver systems, myself.  One has four PPro
processors, 2G RAM, puts out as much heat as my basement AC can deal
with all by itself, and runs great with OpenBSD/i386 MP.  The other
sounds a bit more like yours.  Unfortunately, it has an EISA bus IRQ
issue on bsd.mp.  A work-around was floated for it, but it was felt to
be too ugly a hack to go into the tree, and I think people kinda lost
interest in dealing with the old things.

Keep in mind, whatever you are hoping to accomplish with this thing,
you can do better, faster and for a fraction of the power draw with
something that someone has probably tossed out in the trash.  The HP
NetServers of this vintage were irritating beasts to deal with...they
wanted to test every byte of RAM, and do so very slowly.  One of mine
would respond to hitting the space bar by changing the message on the
screen to say, "Please wait...", and then it would continue counting
the RAM at the exact same rate...just with the messages telling you to
be patient added to the screen.  Between that, the RAID controller and
the SCSI controllers, the 2G 4xPPro200 machine took something like ten
minutes to reboot.

I really need to test out my machine, and make sure it still doesn't
work. :)

Nick.