I haven't been able to get firmware version 1.8.4 to work right. Lots of timeouts and other errors were present. I have had success with 1.7.4 on a Senao card with my net4511. I also know that 1.5.6 is supposed to work well although I had some issues with 1.5.6 and hostap while 1.7.4 works great with hostap.

I have found that with Prism 2.5 wireless cards, newer firmware usually is not better. Most of the cards I have purchased came from Netgate and they have all been shipped with firmware 1.4.9. I have also found that different operating systems work right with different versions of the firmware, at least when it comes to hostap functionality. I have found that m0n0wall (based on FreeBSD) works great with 1.5.6 but not with 1.7.4 while OpenBSD works great with 1.7.4 but not 1.5.6.

Anyway, try 1.7.4. That is my suggestion.

Bryan