Just thought I'd reply to the list, as this may serve
someone else in the future.

The problem was user configuration error (or it seems).

After some more googling and reading more man pages, I
wondered about the following suggestion in xorg.conf(5):

        Some Option flags that may be useful to include in
        Monitor sections (when needed) include "DPMS", and
        "SyncOnGreen".

So I thought I would give it a go since I had nothing
to lose.  Well, putting 'Option "DPMS"' in the "Monitor"
section of my xorg.conf file and restarting X seems to
have done the trick.

I don't understand why though, since 'xset q' was
reporting that DPMS was enabled prior to this change.

Cheers

[snip...]
http://mail.yahoo.com