Cross-list addresses removed.
Come on, is it so difficult to post the same message (or even lightly
personalized message?) three or four times so we can minimize the
cross-list trash that results from people hitting "group reply"
mindlessly?

Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> The point of using periodic, at least under FreeBSD, is that there is a
> 'report' that is issued at the end of the monthly periodic run letting the
> admin know the status of various things on their servers ...
>
> So, for instance, it would give them a monthly reminder that the script *is*
> running on their machine ...

sounds like it should go in the /etc/monthly.local script.  Whomever
gets the rest of the system reports will get that.
   http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=monthly&sektion=8
however, this does run as root, so you will probably want to make sure
that is delt with properly.

Still...there is no magic here, the difference between this and cron is
just the wrapper scripts.  Cron is Unix.  This "periodic" thingie is
apparently FreeBSD.  If this is a cross-platform app, it should be
"Unix", not FreeBSD.

Watching how bsdstats.org has been acting mostly as a random number
generator for at least the last week or so has been amusing, but doesn't
do much for faith in the project.  It can claim to be fair, as I think
it has ranked each of the major BSDs as "most popular" by a huge margin
at least once in the last week, but I wouldn't call that meaningful.

I think you need to be providing some clear, accurate, front-page
explanation of how you are compiling your numbers.  If you are having
temporary difficulties, the responsible thing to do is to not display
garbage.  Otherwise, you truly are acting as nothing better than a
random number generator, and one that might be interpreted as meaningful
by someone in the press or management.  They do things like that, you know.

Nick.