On 10/5/06 5:05 AM, Travers Buda wrote:

Thats not very smart of intel, considering that OpenBSD is writing the
best drivers for them with a BSD liscense for FREE!

In general Intel is definitely one of the smartest companies in this world, I don't like them that much personally but highly respect them for almost all their work. You can scream in this small church about license details but at this moment the world sees no difference between varieties of open source. Even basic "open source" is a very big step for companies and it's very hard to explain differences between GPL and BSD and the clue behind the enormous success of OpenSSH. Most GPL fans think they understand the philosophies and differences between GPL and BSD and strongly tend to ignore the basic results of the licenses, they think "Linux is bigger than FreeBSD so GPL is better than BSD"). If I try to explain that only BSD is "no strings attached" they say "but the BSD license requires you to copy the name of the authoring person only copy left is without any strings. And there I have to explain that in most civil countries =everything is copyrighted= even for many years after the passing away of the authoring person so its basically the law that requires some sign that proves it's copy-left and only the author can claim. If the claim is left, even after years someone might rightfully claim and ask for real money if you use "unsigned" code.

This is all far to complicated for 99% of the people in this world.

The argument against GPL that works best for me during "discussions" about it is that GPL is BSD with Digital Rights Management. Even GPL zealots have an extremely bad feeling while hearing "DRM", again and again funny to see their faces while it sinks in.

+++chefren