On Fri, Oct 06, 2006 at 04:06:35PM +0530, Siju George wrote:
> If the real concern is for *disadvantaged children* in third world
> countries then giving them a laptop is the most ridiculous idea ever
> orginated!
>
> Some time back I saw a cartoon. One of the 3rd world countries blasted
> their nuclear bomb and was proud of it. Proud that they were in par
> with the others in the West. While their people were still begging and
> starving in the streets and villages.
>
> The cartoon showed a poor beggar sitting on the street with torn
> clothes with the beggars basin to reveive a missile sent to it.
>
> In  the third world the basic necissities are food, water, clothing,
> shelter, medical care etc.
> Disadvantaged children could care less about a stupid laptop when they
> have had no meal for a week and are tired of the sun while watching
> their siblings dying of cholera.
>
> Getting a laptop to a child for low cost seems to be a noble idea on
> the outside.
> add a *3rd-world country* phase and you get a more polished *charity
> painted/noble* image.
>
> I don't think OLPC it that great!. It is another form of business.
> They have seen a market. They want to reach it. thats all!
>
> Mostly people who applaude such endeavours *do not have any idea* of
> the issues of the third world countries.
>
> I am not angry Jack.
> But When I find people *over nobleizing* at the expense of the 3rd
> world countries I think I need to say this.
Bravo Siju Bravo!

I see with my own eyes everyday ppl who have no money to eat a morsel of rice a
day. And I am often amazed by their intellect, wisdom and happy attitude.

I am not kidding. Once I was flabbergasted when a young chap came all the way
to my home just to give me two rupees(1$ = 45 rupees).

And ppl in the railway station asking me, "Please give me ten rupees. I will
carry your suitcase."

Do you guys get the picture? My heart bleeds when I see this. But most of my
fellow men are so used to this that their hearts have turned into stone seeing
these things...

I really wonder how one can own a car and a bungalow in my country when my own
ppl are starving for food?

I think the West can never understand our problems until they visit us and see
our conditions. No, my point is not that anybody is inferior or superior.

I sincerely believe the West has to learn a great deal of wisdom from the east.
After all like many Americans want to believe America is not the only country
on earth! :-)

Now, coming to this particular issue of laptops I wholeheartedly agree with
Siju. In fact this is nothing different from that idiot Bill Gates who came to
India saying that he wanted to help India tackle the AIDS disease.

I think the only solution to tackle this disparity lies in a mutual
understanding and firm conviction that every race, every nation is important.

Just like there are oranges and grapes and apples and kiwis, each with a
different taste that makes our meal wholesome, every single race and nation
goes towards making this world complete and livable.

May I ask how many of my countrymen are serving in top notch research
institutions like IBM and NASA? Dont you benefit by them?

Well, several thousand years ago India was the richest nation on earth. India
was also the most knowledgeable and ethical and moral nation, but that was once
upon a time.

Today, after several generations, we still have a strong culture, values and
importance attached to education.

Too bad, our companies like Infosys and Wipro have given us an image of doing
low end junk work!

Actually it is not the loss of wealth that has hurt us. What really hurt us is
the lack of confidence!

Well, sorry for talking about India. It is the only third world country I know.

regards,
Girish