Ted Unangst wrote:
On 10/9/06, Joe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I'm trying to find a compiler that supports variable length arrays.
I'm currently taking a computer science class and noticed that gcc's
support for variable lenght arrays is "broken" [0].

i think you'll be hard pressed to come up with an example that doesn't
actually work for you.

Thanks. I'm a student and just getting started and my instructor was telling the class how the schools version copies of MS Visual C 6.0 is not C99 compliant and that some of the examples in the book[0] fail to compile. I read up on GCC 3.3.5 and it appears that it is mostly compliant with a few issues, including the variable length arrays which happens to be on one of my homework assignments. But it looks like I'll be ok.

By the way, if anyone has any pointers (no pun intended) for a CS newbie, any help and recommendations are always appeciated. I like the OpenBSD development community and hope to contribute some code and patches in the future.

[0] "A Structured Approach Using C" ISBN: 0534491324