On Thu, Oct 12, 2006 at 11:37:14AM +0200, frantisek holop wrote:
> i know ps is only showing what was, or might have been, not what it is..
> but how come in one moment 40-50 (out of the total 110-120 processes)
> are "swapped out" and in the next instant none of them?

status "swapped out" does not mean they are physically and completely
written out of memory. the "swapped out" status only means that in
case of physmem shortage they will have their u-area paged out.
if process transition thru running then it will have it's u-area
paged in or otherwise marked as "not swapped out"...
cu

--
    paranoic mickey       (my employers have changed but, the name has remained)