> Yes this is a problem with kismet (even the current svn snapshot).

Maybe, it depends how you look at it.

Ath(4) devices have problems (partly) because Kismet configures net80211 based
capture sources to IFM_AUTO on OpenBSD. Only ath(4) has a problem with this,
IFM_AUTO is the correct way to go.

There are a lot of things on my list that I would like to do to Kismet before
Kili updates the port, but as he knows I have very little time. Adding ugly
workarounds for hardware made by vendors that belligerently refuse to release
docs to the open source community is not one of them.

The real problem here is that you chose Atheros. Don't blame Kismet.