Ingo Schwarze wrote:
This might make it yet into some FAQ...  :-/

been there for quite some time, actually:
   http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq12.html#aac

:)

Nick.

K Kadow wrote on Mon, Oct 23, 2006 at 08:47:06PM -0500:
I've inherited a half dozen Dell PowerEdge 2650s with the PERC 3/Di
Adaptec RAID controllers, mostly running old OpenBSD with the 'aac'
RAID controller enabled.

I'd like to put as little money (and time) into these as possible
while still bringing them up to the latest supported OpenBSD release,
and keeping the Dell support contracts in place.  I'm willing to
consider trading these in, but I don't see affordable rackmount
servers from Dell or Sun with redundant power and hardware RAID.

These servers have been up and running for years (as in 1000 day
uptimes) without major issues, and with no complaints about
performance or corruption.  How big a risk am I taking by reinstalling
these machines with 4.0 and a custom 'aac' kernel?