On 10/25/06, ropers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Ryan, Joachim (, others):

You mentioned that you dislike PHP.
I would be curious to learn your reasons for this.
I'm not trying to instigate religious wars or the like, it's just that
my programming skills are mostly nonexistant <cough>GW BASIC & shell
scripts</cough> and I'm thinking of properly learning PHP, kind of as
an evolutionary step, up from XHTML.

Should a coding n00b like myself avoid PHP like the plague, or do your
reasons only come into play once a certain level of programming
proficiency is attained?

run like hell, this stuff is cursed. not that you wouldn't be able to write
(more or less) correct code, but once you have to work in a team, there's
a 90% chance it is dominated by braindead code monkeys who work
with php since The Early Days(tm) which means a) all-global vars b) not the
faintest idea of object orientation c) nor sense for code maintenance and d)
really good stuff spaghetti style

--knitti