On Oct 26, 2006, at 4:04 AM, Otto Moerbeek wrote:

On Thu, 26 Oct 2006, Patrick Rutkowski wrote:

I don't know what I'm supposed to make of this:

=== Start Message ===

Subject: <my host name> daily insecurity output

Checking special files and directories.
Output format is:
        filename:
                criteria (shouldbe, reallyis)
.:      permissions (0755, 0777)

=== End Message ===

Normally I don't get daily insecurity reports, which I take to mean that everything is OK. But for the past two nights I have gotten this one; and I
can't figure out what it's trying to tell me.

<cmd> sudo find / -perm 777 </cmd> will show no output other than when I deliberately create a single chmod 777 file, at which point it will show only that one file. This proves that that find is working properly and that there
are, as far as I can tell, no chmod 777 files on my system.

The only thing worth mentioning about my system is that it's still running
3.8.

It looks like your / dir has the wrong permissions.

        -Otto

Yup, that was it; ty :-D