On Saturday 04 November 2006 19:55, Nick Guenther wrote:
> On 11/4/06, STeve Andre' <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On Saturday 04 November 2006 19:09, Nick Guenther wrote:
> > > Just came across this article:
> > > http://geodsoft.com/howto/harden/OpenBSD/services.htm
> > >
> > > So is he right?
> > >
> > > -Nick
> >
> > It seems that this was written to cover OpenBSD 2.9, and revisied
> > for 3.0.   Keeping old sites like this online without a huge disclaimer
> > saying "likely out of date!" seems irresponsible to me.
> >
> > Look at /etc/rc and /etc/rc.conf to see whats going on these days.
> > Always look to see what an author claims about whats going on
> > in OpenBSD before believing what they say...
>
> Thank you, that makes sense. Then may I ask modified question: was it
> true at the time?
>
> -Nick

At some point, configurations of a system get into policy questions.
Whats best for a system?  That gets hard to measure.

If you look at security strictly from a 'turn it off' viewpoint then it
was a useful thing to do.  The concept of hardening is always
interesting, but rememnber, what people thought five years ago
might not be so relevant today, hence my skepticism when looking
at sites that try to give advice on how to better OpenBSD.

--STeve Andre'