Jon Simola wrote:
> On 11/7/06, Price, Joe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> We're trying our first upgrade to 4.0 and fsck during the upgrade
>> process seems to freeze the machine.
>
>> wd0: 16-sector PIO, LBA48, 238475MB, 488397168 sectors
>>   a:     471858849            63  4.2BSD   2048 16384  328 # Cyl
>> 0*-468113
>
>> real mem  = 133787648 (130652K)
>> avail mem = 115355648 (112652K)
>
> You may not have enough memory to fsck a single 250GB-ish partition,
> which would explain why fsck crashes both during the upgrade and at
> the command line.

Worse than that, this is a broken system for other reasons...

Too big of a partition...If after upgrade, your kernel ends up in the
wrong place on the disk, you will not be able to boot.  PIII machines
don't generally boot above 128G.

To add insult to (fatal) injury, there isn't enough swap to fsck this
thing, so when you run out of RAM+swap, the thing will memory-lock.  Be
grateful, it keeps you from breaking the system by putting the kernel
above the 128G point.

Hm.  Interesting question: I'm not sure the swap is even active at that
point in the upgrade process.  I have no reason to believe it is either
way, I've just never looked at that.  The system WILL use swap on boot
of the main kernel.

You need to rebuild your system sanely:
  root smaller than 128G (or whatever your BIOS limit is...128G is not a
sane size for root, for other reasons, see FAQ4, your machine may well
have a 32G or smaller boot limit)
  Swap+RAM should be significantly more than 1M/1G disk partitions which
will be fsck'd at the same time (if you have multiple disks, you will
have multiple fsck's running at the same time).  Easiest way is just put
a lot more RAM in the thing.
  If you don't need the whole disk, DON'T PARTITION THE WHOLE DISK.

There are reasons we tell you not to build your systems this way.
   http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq4.html#Partitioning
   http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq14.html#LargeDrive

Nick.