Michael Hernandez wrote:
> Is that expected behavior? Of course not... and for the record, no it
>  doesn't work with the same automagic goodness on the evo at work (I
> think it's the card in the evo, the monitor is exactly the same as
> the one I have at home) but if you haven't tried to just run X
> without any config file... give it a go! You might get a pleasant
> surprise!

It is actually desired behavior and a goal of the X.org project to
greatly simplify the hardware detection, including "just working"
without an xorg.conf file.

When it works, it really works well.  And sometimes when it falls flat
on its face, you just got to laugh.

The nv(4) driver (NVidia cards) are a very good example.  Put one in a
computer, you will probably find it Just Works.  Put two in, you will
find that it Almost Just Works.  Amazingly, "X -configure" gives you an
almost functional dual-headed config...EXCEPT, the timing detection that
worked SO PERFECTLY and automatically with a single card is now totally
wrong.  I found it trying to drive my 17" LCD at 2048x1600 (or something
close to that, found that out by plugging my 19" CRT in, which amazingly
actually displayed it Pretty Darned Well for that many dots).  D'oh!

(Put a dual-headed nv(4) card in, you will find it works great with
either head...but not both. D'oh, again!)

Still progress to be made. :)

Nick.