> I can easily get some Realtek 8169 based (not 8139!) re cards, some
> Intel gbit em (they seem less stable than fxp ?), and probably some sk
> (SMC 9452TX).

I have been using sk(4) as my Gigabit card of choice with great success for
some time now. In fact, I don't bother looking for anything else. I pump lots
of Gigs through them daily with never a hitch, on old PIII junkware PC's.

There are probably alternatives with better maximum performance, I've never
needed to find out. The fact that they cost new about the same as two packs
of cigarettes (in the UK) is a pretty convincing bonus.