On 23/11/06, Conrad Winchester <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
First of all hi! My name is Conrad and I am new to the world of OpenBSD, but
not unix in general.

I have just done my first install of a server using OpenBSD and am extremely
impressed.

I do have one question though and I apologize if people always ask this: At
the end of the install I asked whether I want to run sshd and ntpd by
default - very nice BUT why am I not given the option to turn off Sendmail
at this point? I NEVER use sendmail and for an OS that prides itself on
being as minimal as possible I would have thought giving you the option to
not run sendmail would also be there right from the start.

Comments please

Conrad Winchester

Not sure why you are not given the option to disable it on install,
but you turn it off by simply setting "sendmail_flags=NO" in
/etc/rc.conf.local. Also the afterboot manpage is very useful for new
installs. Specifically the section on sendmail:

Sendmail
    OpenBSD ships with a default /etc/mail/localhost.cf file that will work
    for simple installations; it was generated from openbsd-localhost.mc in
    /usr/share/sendmail/cf.  Please see /usr/share/sendmail/README and
    /usr/share/doc/smm/08.sendmailop/op.me for information on generating your
    own sendmail configuration files.  For the default installation, sendmail
    is configured to only accept connections from the local host and to not
    accept connections on any external interfaces.  This makes it possible to
    send mail locally, but not receive mail from remote servers, which is
    ideal if you have one central incoming mail machine and several clients.
    To cause sendmail to accept external network connections, modify the
    sendmail_flags variable in /etc/rc.conf.local to use the
    /etc/mail/sendmail.cf file in accordance with the comments therein.  This
    file was generated from openbsd-proto.mc.

    Note that sendmail now also listens on port 587 by default.  This is to
    implement the RFC 2476 message submission protocol.  You may disable this
    via the no_default_msa option in your sendmail .mc file.  See
    /usr/share/sendmail/README for more information.  The
    /etc/mail/localhost.cf file already has this disabled.

Cheers z0mbix