Bingo!  You hit every nail right on the head.

I guess I just had to configure it for the blue chipset ;)

thanks!

--Bryan

On 11/30/06, Nick Holland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Bryan Irvine wrote:
> I'm having a devil of a time setting up xorg on an ancient imac 333Mhz.
>
> Anyone have a working config?

yep, but being the mean guy I am, I'm not giving it to you. :)
But I will tell you how I did it, more educational that way...

(besides, knowing apple, I wouldn't put it past 'em having five different iMac
333MHz machines.  The exterior color probably corresponds to the chipsets.  So,
I may not have the same iMac 333 as you... :)

> The default one worked but was
> pixelated so I tried to make it look better and now it doesn't work at
> all... :-(

I presume you are trying to use the accelerated ATI driver.
(if not, forget all the following, and set the res. as you want in MacOS)

Start with the example in /usr/X11R6/README.

When I started with this (from memory), I got an immediate error message.  The
PCI BusID was wrong for this computer.  The right value is hinted at in your
dmesg and told to you in the /var/log/Xorg.0.log file.  Use that.

Now, I got the power light turning orange on the thing, which probably means
"out of range"...but it's a Mac, it could mean it thinks orange looks better on
the front of the machine at the moment.

Turns out the "VertRefresh" number is wrong for an iMac333.  I'm not sure what
the right number is, Apple probably never told anyone ("you don't need to know
that!").  I found changing it to "50-80" worked, no evidence that the thing is
in any kind of distress.  But don't take that as authoritative on the iMac 333.

I happened to know that 1024x768 is a valid resolution for this machine, so I
changed the DefaultDepth to 24, and set the 24 bit "Modes" line to "1024x768".
Ta-da, a nicely working 1024x768 display, with a 75Hz refresh rate.

(this is all on -current, but also worked on 3.7ish or so...)

Some time back, before I knew what I was doing with X as well as I do now (which
is still pretty lame for what there probably is to know), I managed to get this
same machine running at 1280x1024...and pretty darned well for a 15" screen.
Can I do it now?  No.  Can I get it to run at any other values than I said
above?  No.  Why?  No idea.  So don't consider me much of an expert. :)

Nick.