On 12/12/06, Karel Kulhavy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi.

> You are kidding, aren't you ?

No.
o.k.

> csh/tcsh uses setenv and sh/ksh/bash uses export

No I mean explanation how the user obtains a list of available numbers and
how to select from them.
Short answer:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~ $ ls -l /usr/local/bin/autoconf-*
-r-xr-xr-x  1 root  bin  4853 Jul 28 09:59 /usr/local/bin/autoconf-2.13
-r-xr-xr-x  1 root  bin  7686 Jun 27 16:38 /usr/local/bin/autoconf-2.57
-r-xr-xr-x  1 root  bin  7674 Jun 27 16:35 /usr/local/bin/autoconf-2.59

Or you can use pkg_info to get a more detailed output:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~ $ pkg_info autoconf
Information for autoconf-2.13p0

Comment:
automatically configure source code on many Un*x platforms

Autoconf is an extensible package of m4 macros that produce shell
scripts to automatically configure software source code packages.
These scripts can adapt the packages to many kinds of UNIX-like
systems without manual user intervention.  Autoconf creates a
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~ $ pkg_info autoconf | head -n 20
Information for autoconf-2.13p0

Comment:
automatically configure source code on many Un*x platforms

Autoconf is an extensible package of m4 macros that produce shell
scripts to automatically configure software source code packages.
These scripts can adapt the packages to many kinds of UNIX-like
systems without manual user intervention.  Autoconf creates a
configuration script for a package from a template file that lists the
operating system features that the package can use, in the form of m4
macro calls.

The FSF would make you believe that only gnu-m4 can handle autoconf.
This is no longer true. This package does not depend on gnu-m4.

This is autoconf-2.13.

The actual autoconf drivers for selecting autoconf version are in
[... snipp ...]

> No, because you should have at least basic Un*x knowledge.

I have a basic Unix knowledge. Do you think that someone who wrote 25% of a
graphical web browser that runs on the following platforms:
[... snipp ...]
PMShell, AtheOS GUI, doesn't have a basic Unix knowledge?
Honestly, I dont care about that.

I don't understand what's the point in refusing to do this - this looks like
some kind of OpenBSD script and it should be easy to change the text it prints,
shouldn't? I guess the work will be minimal and the benefit will be obvious.
Sure. The file is not brand new:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~ $ head  /usr/local/bin/autoconf
#! /bin/sh
# $OpenBSD: meta.in,v 1.3 2004/11/08 22:00:09 mbalmer Exp $

# Copyright (c) 2003,2004 Marc Espie.
#

You can make the changes, update the corresponding package (metaauto-0.5)
and commit the changes after testing.

Andreas.

--
Hobbes : Shouldn't we read the instructions?
Calvin : Do I look like a sissy?