* Sideris Michael <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [061214 20:50]:
> On Thu, Dec 14, 2006 at 07:29:58PM -0500, Jim Razmus wrote:
> > Someone hit me with a clue-by-four.
> >
> > On both 4.0 release and -current (13/12/2006) I find "vim -y" does not
> > work as it did on 3.9.  Likely a question for the vim lists, but I'm
> > hoping someone will confirm what I'm experiencing.
> >
> > "vim -y" should start in an emacs-like mode.  However, I'm finding the
> > -y switch does nothing.  In all cases I install the no_x11 flavor.  My
> > users pointed this behavior out after my upgrade to 4.0.
> >
> > Can anyone else confirm this behavior on another machine?
> >
> > Jim
>
> Hey there Jim. From vim(1):
>
> evim eview
>        The GUI version in easy mode.  Starts a new win-
>        dow.  Can also be done with the "-y" argument.
>
> -y       Start  Vim  in  easy  mode, just like the exe-
>        cutable was called "evim" or  "eview".   Makes
>        Vim behave like a click-and-type editor.
>
> So, I guess that by using the -y arg causes vim to start in GUI and easy
> mode. Now, since you mention that you are installing the -no_x11 version
> of vim I think it makes sense that you see no difference. Hope that
> helps.
>
> --
> Sideris Michael
> http://black.daemons.gr/msid/

Good thought, but I think it's not the case.  All my users have "vim -y"
in their muttrc file.  Also, we've always ssh'd to the server and ran
mutt in a shell (no GUI).  I've confirmed the same behavior on a couple
other 4.0 release i386 machines too.

So something definitely changed with vim between the 3.9 and 4.0
releases.  I'm digging into the vim cvs history for clues along with our
ports tree for clues.

Jim