Jason Dixon wrote:
On Dec 17, 2006, at 6:28 PM, Dag Richards wrote:

Jason Dixon wrote:

Your security staff is clueless. I bet they like to block icmp echo- request too.

Erm, I am don't think I am clueless, often a sign of cluelessness I am sure ... However. I block inbound icmp, well actually inbound anything not shown to be required for specific 'services'.

What about this is cluelez? I ask in a tone not of belligerence, but a desire to be informed by my betters.

Why would you block icmp echo-request? What does that gain you in terms of security?

--
Jason Dixon
DixonGroup Consulting

I block all inbound traffic to my networks not required for operations.

I have a dns server I allow inbound udp / tcp 53, if its not running other services thats all I allow. I run rules on the dns server that block it from making outbound connections except to 53 on servers off my network, and ntp to the time servers.

Why would I let icmp in? I have telnet turned off on all the servers, but I still block port 23, or actually fail to open it.

Tools can be written to use icmp as a transport, obviously anything can be used as a transport which is why we only allow traffic inbound to servers with services running we want public. Why should I allow someone to ping my dns server?

If you need to see if the server is up telnet to port 53, a traceroute will die at the hop above the firewall, I know which ip that is. I don't care/need others to do so.