I've got an Atheros AR5213 card that I'm trying to use in a wireless
access point. Unfortunately, it's experienced a number of odd issues,
including device timeouts, inability to associate properly with an
existing Prism-based access point running on OpenBSD 3.7, etc.

I'm not going to go too heavily into the details of my problems,
because I see from very recent posts to the list that support for this
particular device is not fully functional (or at least was not as of
the last couple of months). What I really want to know is, are these
devices fully supported yet? If not, what stands in the way of full
support? If it's not properly supported yet, does anyone have
recommendations for a good, reasonably cheap wireless card that will
work as an access point?

I'm using one with 4.0 in 11b hostap mode:

ath0 at pci0 dev 13 function 0 "Atheros AR5212" rev 0x01: irq 12
ath0: AR5213 5.9 phy 4.3 rf5112a 3.6, FCC2A*, address 00:0b:6b:57:31:d4

It's about the only way I can use it at the moment, it came with a PC
Engines WRAP card that I bought recently.  I figured if I couldn't get
it to work in any manner I'd sell it on Ebay.  I've got 2 other AR521x
devices that I'd really like to get working in 11a mode, I believe
that some have had success in 11a mode but I haven't.

Right now, like you, I can't get the AR5213 card to associate with a
802.11b AP, and I can't get another AR5212 to associate to it when
it's in 11a mode.  I try snapshots every now and then.

I've got several different brands of Prism 2.5 cards, PCI, miniPCI,
and Cardbus, that all work solidly in hostap mode, Netgear, Linksys,
Senao.  So with the equipment I have I'm stuck with 11b and hope that
I'll have some 11a networking soon.

Greg