Ryan Flannery wrote on Tue, Dec 26, 2006 at 07:26:59PM -0500:
> On 12/26/06, George C <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> I just upgraded my 4.0 system to -current (GENERIC.MP),

You mean, before that, you had a 4.0-release or -stable system?
Just a wild guess since you explicitely mention the kernel:
Did you also extract the -current base40.tgz file set?

See http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq5.html#Flavors:

|| Keeping Things in Sync
|| It is important to understand that OpenBSD is an Operating System,
|| intended to be taken as a whole, not a kernel with a bunch of
|| utilities stuck on.  You must make sure your kernel, "userland"
|| (the supporting utilities and files) and ports tree are all in
|| sync, or unpleasant things will happen.  Said another way (because
|| people just keep making the error), you can not run brand new ports
|| on a month old system, or rebuild a kernel from -current source and
|| expect it to work with a -release userland.

Note the last sentence in particular.

>> and when I reboot, the two bnx devices could not find firmware
>> in /etc/firmware.  It appears to be looking for /etc/firmware/bnx,
>> but that file is not present.

> try the following:
> # cd /usr/src/sys/dev/microcode/bnx
> # make
>
> that should produce a file named 'bnx' in that directory.  copy it to
> /etc/firmware and reboot.

That may solve the immediate problem, but i suspect you might have
more problems than you noticed yet.

>> I can reboot the old kernel just fine (so it appears the old bnx
>> driver did not require it).  Curious how/where the new firmware for
>> bnx is located at, and where I can obtain a copy.
>>
>> Is there some step I missed in the upgrade procedure that builds/adds
>> these firmware files?  or is this simply done separately?

No, at least on i386, they are just contained in base40.tgz.

>> I followed the FAQ.

Very strange.  After properly updating to 4.0-current on i386,
/etc/firmware/bnx is in place.  I just did a source upgrade of
my development machine tonight:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] $ sysctl kern.version
kern.version=OpenBSD 4.0-current (GENERIC) #3: Tue Dec 26 20:45:43 CET 2006
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]:/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/GENERIC
[EMAIL PROTECTED] $ grep bnx make-061226.log | tail -n3
===> sys/dev/microcode/bnx
install -c -o root -g bin -m 644  bnx /etc/firmware
install -c -o root -g bin -m 644
  /usr/src/sys/dev/microcode/bnx/bnx-license /etc/firmware
[EMAIL PROTECTED] $ ll /etc/firmware/bnx

-rw-r--r--  1 root  bin  87616 Dec 27 01:26 /etc/firmware/bnx

The Dec 25 snapshot looks fine, too:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] $ tar -tzvf base40.tgz | grep 'etc.*bnx'
-rw-r--r--  1 root bin 87616 Dec 25 11:50 ./etc/firmware/bnx
-rw-r--r--  1 root bin  1946 Dec 25 11:50 ./etc/firmware/bnx-license

Obviously, something went wrong in your case.
Do not rely on the correctness of your system
before you understand what exactly was screwed up.